Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Grizzly jointers

On 1/12/2019 11:33 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/12/2019 7:24 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/11/2019 10:50 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/11/2019 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they
could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they
had
a weak back? Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are
numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

You'd need to be a moron to buy either when you can get one with a
spiral cutter head for a few dollars more. After owning both
types, I
would never buy, on purpose, a planer or jointer w/o a segmented
spiral cutter head. The difference is night and day, but the cost, in
this case, is just $30 more.

Point well-taken, but of course you meant to type "$300" more.

No, I meant $30. Surprised me as well, but I got the numbers directly
from the page you listed above, just scroll down a little:

Model: G0857 $1,295.00
Item# G0656X $1,325.00

"A" jointer, yes, but not the same jointer with the spiral head
option...the G0656X is dovetail ways, not parallelogram design.

If you also look more carefully, that's a special sale price
right now; the normal list is more like $1700.

Now, I personally don't care a whit about the two styles having had an
old 8" Delta dating from the Rockwell-Delta days and the tables are
still coplanar after some 60+ years so the scare tactics on how the
dovetails wear and drop the tables just doesn't live up to the hype for
me...

We must have the same jointer. Mine is about 65 years old and a 6"
but also has remained perfectly coplanar, so that seems to be not an
issue. Segmented spiral cutter however is a big issue.

But, "Yes, Virginia", you _could_ get one for essentially the same price
right now it appears.

Yes, $30 more, which is what I said. Can't imagine why anyone would
buy the other one, regardless of it's weight or fancy adjustment
mechanism. My self, I rarely to never adjust the tables other than
after knife sharpening. Even if the price was $300 more, I would not
hesitate to buy the spiral head. Worth much much more than that in
performance.

A) I wasn't arguing that, only that the comparison Bill made was valid,
too.

B) Just the bigger brother, yes...

I raise/lower infeed table all the time...I'm one who's still old-school
enough to actually use the rabbet table extension, taper legs, etc.,
etc, etc., ... besides just joint an edge.

I experimented with that stuff once or twice when I first got my
jointer. Decided jointer not right tool for that stuff (for me). Tapers
and rabbets I always cut on table saw. Further more, I set my out feed
table for a 1/32" cut and never change it. I know 1 pass is 1/32, two is
1/16th.

As far as coplanar, I don't believe mine is even adjustable. It was
ground coplanar at the factory and should never need adjustment, far as
I know. If it was, I would screw that up in a second.

I've thought a time or two about upgrading the head, but with sharp
knives I really don't find the tearout issue to be a problem...I'd far
prefer to have them on the old PM Model 180 planer, but there we are
talking "big bucks!".

I'd upgrade in a pair of seconds if I was just starting rather than just
ending my "career". Someone makes replacement spiral cutter heads for
most planers and jointers for not all that much money. Edge jointing not
needed much but for face jointing, a major bonus. Of course, if just
starting I wouldn't/didn't know this, which is my reason for harping on
the issue here when it comes up, possibly save someone from making that
mistake.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com