Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cedar slab cost?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 09:37:05 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

swalker on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 22:56:04 -0600 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 03:03:53 -0800 (PST), john stau
wrote:

I was toying with the thought of making a dinning room table out of a single solid slab of cedar. I'd like it to be about 72"x48"x4".
I assume it would have to be western red cedar and I do dream of it being one piece not multiple pieces glued up.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what they figure a cedar slab that size would cost me?

Thanks,
john

Don't know where you are located but I saw a shop in NC, I think
Waynesville, that had a number of finished slabs for sale. They were
beautifully finished. Big and small. Some were made into tables and
some were wall pieces. This was last May and if I remember correctly
almost all the pieces came from the Northern CA area and above and
were driftwood salvage. They were shipped in as large tree pieces and
cut in a local shop.

Beautiful work and priced accordingly.

Read that as "$$$$$$$!"

Written estimates of cost should have a note on the front: "if you
have a heart condition, please consult with your doctor before
opening."

"If you have to ask..."