Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default how hot do you run you CH boiler

wrote in message
On Friday, 11 January 2019 18:54:03 UTC, tim... wrote:

I had a new Combi fitted today (in the to-be-moved-to house).

Fitters told me that I should run this at 74 degrees.

Which I thought far too high, as

1) it makes the radiators too hot to touch
2) basic thermodynamics suggest that a better temperature profile will
result from having the radiators at the lower temperate for longer period
than a higher temperature for a shorter period

I tried to explain this but was met with

"The recommended temperature is required for the condenser to have any
effect"

and the completely bogus "the temperature of the water in the radiators
is
set by the TRVs not the boiler temp. I couldn't persuade the guy that he
was taking bollox, he played the "I'm the experience heating engineer
card
and I know better than you" card. ****

Anyhow, at my current house it is 55 and works perfectly well

what do you guys/galls do

tim

The only realistic answer is to run it as hot as is necessary to provide
enough heating. Cooler means more boiler efficiency, hotter means more rad
output. The required target temp varies from one house & install to
another, and varies with the weather.

The house, um flat, is well insulated

I have been living in it part time for the past 6 weeks with no heating at
all.

It was a bit on the cold side but not unbearable

Now that the heating is working, it will need to provide a very small amount
of heat to keep the place warm

I am more interested in the effect on the reliability of the boiler of
setting a low temp, as there is no possibility that such a setting wont warm
the house.

tim