Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default how hot do you run you CH boiler

On 12/01/2019 00:55, RJH wrote:
On 11/01/2019 21:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2019 18:52, tim... wrote:
I had a new Combi fitted today (in the to-be-moved-to house).

Fitters told me that I should run this at 74 degrees.

snip

Anyhow, at my current house it is 55 and works perfectly well

what do you guys/galls do

I have weather compensation on mine, and so it chooses its own
temperature based on the outside temp. Basically that means its runs
as cool as it thinks it can get away with and still be able to reach
the target set point temperature in a reasonable amount of time. (the
relationship is set by choosing a mapping curve that reflects the rate
of heat loss of the building).

I don't follow how that can work properly, as for most homes different
rooms will have a different 'curve'. Or does tweaking the TRV compensate?

It seems to work well enough in practice. Each room also has a TRV, and
I have the place split into two zones; upstairs and downstairs, so that
will account for some variation.

It needs a little bit of experimentation to set the profile the first
time - basically waiting for colder days and seeing if the system still
heats the place comfortably and quickly enough. If it doesn't, then you
just tweak it up to a steeper curve. It also helps if you have
appropriate rad sizes for the rooms, and the system is balanced.

The response curves look like:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...tingCurve1.png

IIRC the system defaults to the 1.2 line. If you live in a super
insulted place / particularly sheltered location then you would tweak
down. In my case (exposed location - solid wall construction), I needed
to go up. I found the 1.8 curve worked well.

The system is also smart enough to automatically shift the response
curve vertically based on the currently demanded internal target
temperature[1]:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...tingCurve2.png

So if you tweak the room temp up or down during the day (or have
different times programmed with different set point temps), then it can
vary the flow temperature to match the requirement.

[1] Note that all the system temperatures sensors (internal downstairs,
internal upstairs, DHW cylinder, and external) are digitized and
processed as actual temperatures, not just as on/off "call for heat"
style demands.

--
Cheers,

John.