Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Grizzly jointers

On 1/11/2019 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they had
a weak back?Â* Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are
numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

You'd need to be a moron to buy either when you can get one with a
spiral cutter head for a few dollars more.Â* After owning both types, I
would never buy, on purpose, a planer or jointer w/o a segmented
spiral cutter head. The difference is night and day, but the cost, in
this case, is just $30 more.

Point well-taken, but of course you meant to type "$300" more.

No, I meant $30.Â* Surprised me as well, but I got the numbers directly
from the page you listed above, just scroll down a little:

Model: G0857Â* $1,295.00
Item# G0656XÂ* $1,325.00

"A" jointer, yes, but not the same jointer with the spiral head
option...the G0656X is dovetail ways, not parallelogram design.

If you also look more carefully, that's a special sale price
right now; the normal list is more like $1700.

Now, I personally don't care a whit about the two styles having had an
old 8" Delta dating from the Rockwell-Delta days and the tables are
still coplanar after some 60+ years so the scare tactics on how the
dovetails wear and drop the tables just doesn't live up to the hype for
me...

But, "Yes, Virginia", you _could_ get one for essentially the same price
right now it appears.

--dpb