Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Grizzly jointers

On 1/10/2019 11:26 PM, Bill wrote:
dpb wrote:

I'd not draw any firm conclusions from any of it...about what you'd
expect from a low-cost import distributor--"cheap/inexpensive, but
precision and high attention to detail ain't what you're really
expecting".

But, the way I understand it, they have dominated this part of the
market with their lower "price/performance" ratio to the point that few
wish to compete with them in it. I think Baileigh is going to try, but I
don't see them advertise like Grizzly. Could be I'm not paying attention.

While I've never had a Grizzly and actually have never seen one
firsthand, apparently they are the most consistent of the imports and
what isn't right they do fix.

The cost pressures have driven the US makers overseas as well and Delta
is only a shadow of its former self and may well be following Sears'
business model the rate they're going.

One of the Grizzly machines won both Best Overall and Best Value in last
month's Fine WW review of segmented-head 8" jointers...

Just that if price sensitivity is a major driver, there just can't be
much time spent on the details like the data accuracy of web pages--it
would be too time-consuming and take too many manhours that would
inevitably add.