Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Resin 'paving'.

In article ,
Steve Walker writes:
On 10/01/2019 18:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

Non-permeable surfaces are allowed, but they must drain to a soakaway.

You now need planning permission to install a non-permeable
driveway, in order for the local water authority to be brought
into the loop to confirm your plans for drainage are acceptable
to them (e.g. soakaways have to be set well back from your
boundary, and many gardens aren't big enough for that).

A recent new build near me had some interesting problems with
this, as they didn't have enough garden left around the house
to handle the rain water soaking in. Water authority made them
install a giant underground grey water tank (which can be up
to the boundary), and I believe the house has to use this for
things like toilet flushing. It overflows into the street
surface water drainage, but they are charged for doing that.

For the last several years, water authorities have the right
to charge you for rain water run-off from your land. They've
been going around all the commerical properties adding that
levy to the water bill, but AFAIK haven't started on residential
properties yet except when some relevant modification has
taken place.

--
Andrew Gabriel