Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:
On 10/01/2019 21:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 21:08:43 +0000, ARW wrote:

On 10/01/2019 19:55, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:15:24 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having
trouble putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new
builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available
as I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Imperial vs metric?

+1

Indeed.

But at least he came in and said he had a problem. And the problem is
now sorted.

Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the
markings on the tool that he had never noticed.

Oh dear, how will he cope when £sd and feet inches and roods come back ?

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold in
metre lengths so you get things like :-

"two metres of 4 bay 2"

Its sold in 300mm (i.e metric foot) increments starting at 300mmm, so
2.0m is not a standard length. 1.8 or 2.1 would be your choices.

--
Cheers,

John.