Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Jim Mueller Jim Mueller is offline

Default Making an Adaptor from the vintage single wire 5/8" screw on MICconnector to BNC

On Wed, 09 Jan 2019 20:03:29 -0600, tubeguy wrote:

Most of my vintage testers have those old style 5/8" screw on MIC
connectors. I have considered changing all of them to BNC and I see many
people do this, but I really dont feel like opening each tester to do
this, plus I kind of like keeping vintage gear original.

I have some probes with the MIC connectors, but there are times I'd like
to use a probe with a BNC on my vintage testers.

My idea is to simply make a few adaptors. I have several of the old MIC
connectors, and I have a bunch of the chassis mount BNC connectors
(which I believe is called the "female"). But I am not seeing any
INLINE female BNC connectors. If I could find these female INLINE ones,
I'd simply take a 6" piece of coax, and put the MIC connector on one end
and the BNC on the other. Making 2 or 3 of these should suffice.

Has anyone seen any female INLINE BNC connectors to buy?
Or, is there another method to accomplish this?

Yes, I could solder on the chassis type BNC connectors, but they would
lack shielding at the connector.

You can remove the spring from the mic connector and drill the opening
out enough to remove the plating. Then take a single hole style BNC
connector and file the threads down until it fits in the mic connector.
Solder a wire onto the center of the BNC and feed it through the hole in
the mic connector. Then solder the BNC into the back of the mic
connector and solder the center contact. That's how I made mine. It
avoids having to come up with an unusual size tap.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with eggmen.
Then replace nospam with expressmail. Lastly, replace com with dk.