Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

In article ,
says...

I was thinking similar, but couldn't think of a good example. You're
right, the new fridge here has the same thing, a flat plug designed
to not stick out. If you put it in ground pin up, there would be stress
on the cord. But to me, the obvious thing is that the vast majority
of receptacles are installed ground pin down. In my experience, I'd
say it's 99%+. It's rather odd if there was an intention they be put
in the other way due to the safety issue, that so many electricians
are doing it wrong. Also, so many safety things are specified in the
code, but nothing on this.

As pointed out, there is not NEC for up or down. Some towns may have a
code or the local inspector may want it a certain way. Just do not argue
with the local man and do it his way.

There have been two thoughts on the safety. One was pin up for falling
objects. The other is pin down because of the plug starts falling out
the hot wires will come out first and then the safety ground.