Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:09:40 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/9/2019 9:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

But to me, the obvious thing is that the vast majority
of receptacles are installed ground pin down. In my experience, I'd
say it's 99%+. It's rather odd if there was an intention they be put
in the other way due to the safety issue, that so many electricians
are doing it wrong. Also, so many safety things are specified in the
code, but nothing on this.

One electrical inspector in the town where I worked, wanted pin up in
the office. He had a thing about paper clips falling across the plug
blades.

In my new house, just built a couple of months ago, the receptacle in
each room that is controlled by a switch has pin up and the top is
switched, the bottom is not. Makes it easy to find the right one.

That's a system. You'd think by now there would be some universal
ID that you could use on receptacles to mark switched, but I've never
seen any. Just a simple little piece of green tape on the half that
is switched would work, but I never thought about doing it until now.
It would be most useful in a new house, where you're not sure what's
what and have to plug in a lot of stuff. Would be nice if that convention
could be followed by electricians.