Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:04:38 AM UTC-5, Bubba wrote:
On 1/8/2019 10:40 PM, wrote:
TomR:

If you look closely at the front of a bare(uninstalled)
receptacle, you'll see tiny writing on many that is
legible only when the receptacle is held so that
the ground is on top. There's a major clue for all
the "looks silly with ground on top" crowd!

Â*Â* My refrigerator has a 90 degree angled plug.Â* To minimize stress on the cable, the wall receptacle needs to be installed with the ground pin down.

I was thinking similar, but couldn't think of a good example. You're
right, the new fridge here has the same thing, a flat plug designed
to not stick out. If you put it in ground pin up, there would be stress
on the cord. But to me, the obvious thing is that the vast majority
of receptacles are installed ground pin down. In my experience, I'd
say it's 99%+. It's rather odd if there was an intention they be put
in the other way due to the safety issue, that so many electricians
are doing it wrong. Also, so many safety things are specified in the
code, but nothing on this.