Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Vintage TV repair test equipment

On Monday, 7 January 2019 19:33:27 UTC, wrote:

Over the years I have acquired a lot of vintage test equipment. I still
use most of it, but I have the following, which I think is something I
will never use. I only work on Tube gear, or real early transistor stuff
without chips. That means I will never work on any flat screen modern
HDTV televisions.

There are three devices:

1. Flyback tester. I KNOW that is obsolete, modern TVs dont have
flybacks, only CRTs use them.

2. Sweep generator and marker. This one I am not sure about????

3. Bar Generator. (Puts colored bars both horizontal and vertical on the
screen). [This one I guess is still useful.]

I don't see how that would be useful. A computer can put anything at all onto a video signal, not stuck to a few preset testcard images.

I also have one of those High Voltage Probes for my Eico VTVM. That I
know is obsolete and is only for CRT sets.

There are people working with HV

Anyhow, I'm thinking of selling some of this stuff. I like collecting
and restoring old tube radios, stereos, and audio and guitar amplifiers,
but I dont have room for old tube television sets, even though it would
be nice having one of those antiques. But I dont really plan to do
anymore work on televisions.

Some old TVs are as small as radios eg Ekco TMB272.

My own TVs and computer monitors are all
flat screen types now, and if they die, I will simply replace them,
unless its a simple repair such as a blown fuse, bad power switch or a
broken wire.

bad psu caps are often worth testing for

The reason that most of the old wax capacitors have failed, is because
the bees wax was gotten from "Low Tech" bees!

NT