Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Calibrated dial knob repair

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 2:33:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I recently bought an old Eico 955 In circuit capacitor tester. It worked
right away, but I am going to recap it. But there is a problem. The
Calibrated dial knob wont clamp to the shaft. Someone apparently over
tightened the set screw and cracked the part that fits around the 1/4"
shaft. Someone also must have glued it, then broke it again. That only
makes gluing it again a worse option because the old glue is gooped all
over the pieces, so they wont fit together properly anymore.

Finding a replacement is likely not an option.
Knob Part number - Eico 89678

How would you fix this?

I do have one thought. To carefully grind away the entire center part of
that knob with a dremyl tool. Then take a new smallish knob with a set
screw and drill out the 1/4" hole thru to the face of that knob, and use
JB Weld to glue that new knob inside the old one. Of course the set
screw has to line up with the original set screw hole. (there is room
for a small knob inside). I might even have a solid aluminum knob that
will fit in there, but I have to find them....

However, grinding out that center will be tricky and time consuming,
since the new knob needs to be centered very precisely.

The knobs all look different, the number of shaft configurations is very limited...