Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Cedar slab cost?

pyotr filipivich writes:
john stau on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 03:03:53 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
I was toying with the thought of making a dinning room table out of a single solid slab of cedar. I'd like it to be about 72"x48"x4".
I assume it would have to be western red cedar and I do dream of it being one piece not multiple pieces glued up.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what they figure a cedar slab that size would cost me?

Roughly speaking, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Find
what you can in the largest piece, and scale up. And realize that in
lumber, prices are not linear as dimensions increase. (e.G., compare
4x4 at 4' long, 8 feet long and 12+ feet long.)
I suspect that you may have to contact a wholesaler or mill, and
see what they tell you. a Slab that size is in the "specialty sizes" /
custom, area. Not saying it is impossible to find, but in a quick
google search I found nothing useful.

http://www.bakerhardwoods.com/large.html

No Cedar, but nice Claro (e.g LW1 133" x 52-48" x 12/4)

Or Claro TP1: 101" x 61-69" x 12/4.

Figure USD25 and up per BF for the best slabs.

There's a couple of nice ELM slabs for under $2k. Shipping from
Gilroy California may be a bit pricey.