Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Quality 1/4 plywood for project

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 19:13:23 -0800 (PST), Michael
wrote:

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 8:56:18 PM UTC-6, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2019 21:34:36 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 17:20:07 -0800 (PST), Michael
wrote:

I need to make a few of these bad boys.

https://halcyonyarn.com/weaving/6600...5--ski-shuttle

The base is 1/4" plywood that's bend to form the ski. It needs to be high quality plywood, but I'm not sure what to ask for or look for. Is there a name or name brand of plywood that I should be buying?

Looks like cold-molded to me. Buy or cut the veneers, make a form,
glue it up in the shape.

Here are a couple of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfrQXvbwtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cQz4rSit8

You could also bend solid wood.

Generally speaking plywood is not bendable after manufacture. There
is some that is flexible but that kind won't hold a bend without
support.

Actually with heat and moisture it is possible to bend some plywoods
by "relaxing" the glue.. I think I'd try doing it in solid though.
Only about 20inches long ---

Clare, Yes, it's not at all difficult to steam and bend 1/4 thick plywood. It will just take a while for it to dry properly after the bend. I don't know if there's a name for high quality plywood with quality wood and no glue voids that people use to make, for example, boxes or cases.

baltic birch or russian birch - or aircraft grade plywood.

The Baltic stuff is pretty widelyavailable.