Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making Plywood: Then vs. Now

-MIKE- on Fri, 4 Jan 2019 23:01:52 -0600 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
On 1/4/19 10:41 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 20:21:30 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 10:06:22 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
Not much has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF5LVBW1vl8

Not much other than...

1 - How many fewer people it takes now vs. then
2 - How many fewer chances to be killed or maimed now vs. then

3- How much smaller the useful logs are. The logs going into the
"now" are about the same size as the waste coming out of the "then".

True, but they are fast growth, sustainable, forest trees.
More wood, faster than the old growth stuff.
Easier to harvest and transport, too.
Supposedly yields better grain and less variation in density, etc.

Unfortunately, not as strong as clear beams cut from old growth
timber.

Plus, you're not cutting down 300 year old trees.

I looked up Western Red Cedar, planning to plan a couple trees at
the old place. Very popular for decking, shingles, siding, etc. As I
recall, _minimum_ commercial size is 75 years. 100 years is better.
But they do tend to take up a lot of room. I figured, by that time, it
would not be my problem B-).

tschus
pyotr

--