Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sanding belts for steel/iron

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 17:57:57 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* As my study of blacksmith practices goes on , I find I'm probably
going to be doing some metal removal with my belt sander . It's a pretty
nice P-C variable speed unit , 3x21 with a dust bag - which I will
remove while grinding anything ferrous . I burned more than one bag up
while working in the cabinet shops , just takes one unexpected nail .
I'm now wondering if the more expensive zirconia belts are that much
better than the standard Al oxide belts I use for wood , or if what I
have is going to work . ISTR that the ones for wood neither work nor
last well when used on steel , but it's been a while and they may have
improved since I last used them for that . I'm looking for
recommendations ...

I've only bought the Ebay-cheap-but-more-expensive Zirconia belts in
1" and 3" widths, but they have been well worth the extra expense,
lasting 4x the life of the others. Light pressure extends them, but
they'll outlast Alox even with rough use.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross