Posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Slow microwave ovens

"Arthur Conan Doyle" wrote in message
news:qmbf2eljuqbcn7v6tgsit6cstjemuo04iq@None...
"William Gothberg" wrote:

I don't need a MW, but the usual 600W to 900W in domestic ovens is
pitiful. What's wrong with 2kW?

There are higher rating consumer units, but you have to look for them. I
had a
1.2kw range hood type that worked much better than the 900w types. I think
commerical units (i.e. convenience store) can be found that are 1.8kw.

That said, what I find annoying is that the power control for every
consumer
microwave I've seen is duty cycle based. That is, so many seconds of full
power
followed by so many seconds of no power.

Some foods and defrosting would work much better if the actual power level
could
be adjusted. Panasonic claims to make an inverter based design, but I'm
not
convinced they actually adjust the outpout power.

They do actually and its trivial to prove that by
monitoring the power consumption over time.