Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.electronics,alt.sci.physics
William Gothberg[_3_] William Gothberg[_3_] is offline

Default Slow microwave ovens

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 18:50:02 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 1:45:03 PM UTC-5, William Gothberg wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 18:21:45 -0000, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

"William Gothberg" wrote:

Anyway, I've never used a microwave on anything other than full power - even when defrosting, which for some reason people think you have to select "defrost". Why? It just takes longer. I can defrost food much faster on full power.

The idea is not to cook the food as its defrosting. Full power is fine if you
want the end item hot. It's not good if you want something room tempurature or
slightly cooler to use as a part of preparation of something else.

Then I just use less cooking time. Full power will defrost to room temperature much faster than that pointless defrost mode. And if you're about to say it won't be even, so what? If it's for part of preparation of something else, it has plenty time to even out.

The so what is that the plastic container will melt or part of the meat
will be cooked via steaming, instead of being able to make it into a
burger and grill it. Capiche? No, of course not.

I don't seem to have that problem, full power defrosts things evenly enough. Some bits are probably a bit hotter than others, but it's evened out by the time I eat it.