Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.electronics,alt.sci.physics
William Gothberg[_3_] William Gothberg[_3_] is offline

Default Slow microwave ovens

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 18:48:38 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 1:21:48 PM UTC-5, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
"William Gothberg" wrote:

Anyway, I've never used a microwave on anything other than full power - even when defrosting, which for some reason people think you have to select "defrost". Why? It just takes longer. I can defrost food much faster on full power.

The idea is not to cook the food as its defrosting. Full power is fine if you
want the end item hot. It's not good if you want something room tempurature or
slightly cooler to use as a part of preparation of something else.

+1

I already tried to explain that to him with my frozen tomato sauce example.
You put a quart plastic container in the microwave and even on the defrost
setting, where it runs at like 30% power and also pulses that on for maybe
75 secs, then off for 20 or so, the bottom gets hot to the point that the
plastic container can start to soften, while the upper portion is still
frozen solid. You're right, defrosting meat is an even better example.
You'd be cooking part of it while the rest is still frozen. It already
happens with the current ovens, if you're not careful.

Microwaving something in a cheap **** plastic container is insane. I always cook or eat things in a real pot bowl. Plastic melts!