Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.sci.physics,alt.electronics
William Gothberg[_3_] William Gothberg[_3_] is offline

Default Slow microwave ovens

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 17:57:35 -0000, Bill Gill wrote:

On 12/29/2018 11:34 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 16:56:35 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 11:27:53 AM UTC-5, William Gothberg
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 14:23:37 -0000, Bill Gill wrote:

On 12/29/2018 7:43 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW? They
were invented decades ago.
Higher powered microwaves would require higher powered electric
outlets, probably 220VAC (in the USA).

Not a problem in Europe where everything is 240V. Another reason you
ought to stop that low voltage crap! Do you seriously have to hard
wire all your washing machines, dishwashers, tumble dryers, etc,
etc? And what on earth do you do with hoovers?

No. Of those only a dishwasher is hardwired, typically. The rest are
plug
and cord, 240V in the case of electric dryers. Works for me.

So you do have sockets where you can plug in 240V 3kW devices, just like
in the UK. So no problem with a more powerful microwave then.

If you don't mind going to the garage/laundry room/etc. to use your
microwave.

In the UK we don't have that problem, my kitchen is full of 13A 240V sockets, just like every other room, it's what I plug my kettle, dishwasher, washing machine, bread maker, etc, etc into. All of which would be utterly useless on a 120V circuit. I thought the USA had 240V sockets in rooms where they're likely to be needed, like the kitchen? And where do you plug in a 2kW hoover? I plug mine in any room I'm hoovering.