Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Look165 Look165 is offline

Default Whats the difference between Magnetic & Crystal headphones?

One works with electromagnetic force, the other works with piezoelectric
force.

The first is low impedance and good for low frequencies, it uses current.
The other is high impedance and good for high frequencies, it uses voltage.

With a typical 8-Ohm or 32-Ohm output, the crystal headphone is useless.

a écrit le 28/12/2018 Ã* 04:11Â*:
Whats the difference between Magnetic & Crystal headphones?

I have an old tube tester which has a jack labeled "NOISE"
I downloaded a manual for it and it says that is to hear noisy tubes.
Then it says use MAGNETIC headphones, crystal headphones will NOT work.

I wont likely ever use this function, but I am curious......

My guess would be "magnetic" phones would have something like a speaker
in them, and that all modern phones are made this way. (just a guess).

So what is a crystal headphone and how does that work?