Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sanding belts for steel/iron

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 17:57:57 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* As my study of blacksmith practices goes on , I find I'm probably
going to be doing some metal removal with my belt sander . It's a pretty
nice P-C variable speed unit , 3x21 with a dust bag - which I will
remove while grinding anything ferrous . I burned more than one bag up
while working in the cabinet shops , just takes one unexpected nail .
I'm now wondering if the more expensive zirconia belts are that much
better than the standard Al oxide belts I use for wood , or if what I
have is going to work . ISTR that the ones for wood neither work nor
last well when used on steel , but it's been a while and they may have
improved since I last used them for that . I'm looking for
recommendations ...

You are going to be sanding flats or would a vertical sander be
better?

Zirconia belts ARE much better than AO media..btw.

Btw..might I suggest the best source for belts and disks?

http://barbkat.com/

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---