Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sanding belts for steel/iron

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
As my study of blacksmith practices goes on , I find I'm probably
going to be doing some metal removal with my belt sander . It's a
pretty nice P-C variable speed unit , 3x21 with a dust bag - which I
will remove while grinding anything ferrous . I burned more than one
bag up while working in the cabinet shops , just takes one
unexpected nail . I'm now wondering if the more expensive zirconia
belts are that much better than the standard Al oxide belts I use
for wood , or if what I have is going to work . ISTR that the ones
for wood neither work nor last well when used on steel , but it's
been a while and they may have improved since I last used them for
that . I'm looking for recommendations ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Are there any custom bladesmiths in your area you could ask, who might
let you try theirs?

I did and was very impressed with his custom variable speed 2"
machine, though I can grind pretty smooth and straight with concave
dish wheels on my 7" angle grinder. I used it to flatten a
welding-warped gas engine mounting plate to within 0.002", measured
with feeler gauges.
-jsw