Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sanding belts for steel/iron

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 6:57:05 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* As my study of blacksmith practices goes on , I find I'm probably
going to be doing some metal removal with my belt sander . It's a pretty
nice P-C variable speed unit , 3x21 with a dust bag - which I will
remove while grinding anything ferrous . I burned more than one bag up
while working in the cabinet shops , just takes one unexpected nail .
I'm now wondering if the more expensive zirconia belts are that much
better than the standard Al oxide belts I use for wood , or if what I
have is going to work . ISTR that the ones for wood neither work nor
last well when used on steel , but it's been a while and they may have
improved since I last used them for that . I'm looking for
recommendations ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Eric should post about 3M cubitron abrasives. I bought some cubitron disks on his recommendation and they work great. They make 3 by 21 belts in cubitron.
But you might also consider buying a HF 4.5 inch angle grinder and some Cubitron flap disks. Do a search on " Cubitron reviews ".

Dan