Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Centroid M-15 Grief

wrote in message
saw your post above regarding the plastic injection molding machine; my
friend just closed their shop after 24 years; i tried helping him sell his
(earlier)
machines but no interest - the equipment eventually went to scrap; sad to
see machinery go to the scrapper (read "China") - in this area we have one
other option as far as scrappers - use Western Metals Recycling (owned by
NUCOR) in Reno - they have a smelter in Utah where they send their scrap to
make into new metal, thus the scrap does not go to your "neighborly"
Chinese. these machines were too big for your use, tho.
*************

Yeah, I've found a number of machines that claim to be "working" and some
working under power for pretty reasonable prices. Dirt cheap compared to a
new machine in their size classes. The problem is they are all huge. They
would require a massive sacrifice of floor real estate in my shop, and just
wouldn't fit in some of my clients shops at all.

As it turns out the client I am currently working with came to the same
conclusion as I did. To get something "big enough" but not to big to fit he
was going to have to make his own injection machine. He's already
accumulating parts. I have some parts on hand myself. Stuff I bought
because it was a good deal. I didn't even have a plan for some of it. I
just had a couple dollars in my pocket and the stuff was even less. Various
heat controls, heat bands, even a couple cartridge heaters. The one many
thing I don't have handy is some DOM or seamless. (two different things) I
have plenty of rod stock for the piston, and I've even been playing with the
idea of a making a screw injection machine. I've wanted an excuse to make a
proper taper attachment for my lathe anyway.