Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Centroid M-15 Grief

On 13/12/2018 02:36, barry, KI7FGE wrote:
groupies:,
i am trying to help out a friend of mine; he owns a screw machine shop (yes, he keeps fairly busy, has about 10 mechanical cam machines) and he has purchased a used CNCm, his first.

the machine is an ATRUMP knee mill w/ a Centroid retrofit; purchased from the owner of a closed shop who knew nothing about the machine (yes, i know); price was fairly good ($2900) - the mill itself is very clean, no machining into the table, etc; the control and wiring is very clean also. he moved the unit to his shop, set everything up; powering up the machine resulted in the display showing about 7 ot 8 thin horizontal lines - about 15 seconds later the display started showing "white cloudy" crap from top to bottom of display on the right side moving to fill the screen all the ways to the right; this was only left on for a few minutes, so maybe we should have let it go for awhile longer; this was tried a couple times, and finally shut down. the machine is powered up on 3-phase power (industrial grade shop); no other information was visible on the display.

this, of course, called for removal of the control from it's mount, disconnection of all cabling, and onto the bench. opening up the control showed a fairly clean guts; BUT after poking around a little reveals some cut wires, some dead-ended connections, some "extra wires", etc.; we did not as yet pull a whole lot apart as yet as it requires removal of a lot of interboard/monitor/power supply/front panel connections, and we're not quite ready to do that yet. i am hoping to document as much of the insides as possible w/ jpegs, video, etc in the next few days. i am reading up online as much as possible as i'm not familiar w/ control and we do not want to disturb as much as possible - but to get to all the boards it does require removing quite a it of wire and connectors.

data plate shows;
MODEL M-15
S/N 4776

attempting to document actual board numbers (ie motherboard, etc.) was difficult without complete or almost complete removal. i have downloaded as much info as possible from the web (operators manual, motherboard IDs & photos, etc), but nothing real helpful as yet. my first questions is:

is there a service manual for the centroid controls, wiring diagrams, etc available anywhere (free or otherewise)?

my searching says that possibly there might be a video take-off on the main board to connect an external monitor - so far i cannot see such a thing.

we will need it to figure out the cut wires, disconnected wires, etc. i understand that having centroid do the actual work might be costly, and my friend isn't real bucks-up right now after buying the machine. any assistance, ideas, death threats, etc always welcome.

more as we dive into it.

TIA!
barry, KI7FGE
carson city, nv

I don't know anything about Centroid controls but as they're electronic
have you looked for evidence of failed or failing components such as
electrolytic capacitors and other components, also are there socketed
chips as over time oxide can creep along the pin surface and cause
signal degradation. Usually simple to cure by removing and refitting the
chips. I mention the electrolytics as a Samsung flat screen monitor I
have started to play up with flickering and fading so I replaced it and
then took the problem one apart to find that most of the electrolytic
caps in the power supply were bulging and some had leaked so I replaced
them at a cost of about £5 + shipping and an hour of my time and it was
back to as good as new.Â* Worth a good look.