Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Outboard Steam engine motor

"John Halpenny" wrote in message
On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 11:01:05 AM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
on Fri, 26 Oct 2018 20:54:20 -0700 (PDT)
typed
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 9:26:26 AM UTC-7,
wrote:
If you could plumb steam to the engine you might be able to do
this, but
there's likely no way to put reasomable power in an outboard
engine with
the boiler requirements.

There have been a number of successful designs that have
accomplished this goal. You won't get 150hp out of it, but
certainly enough power to move a small skiff at a decent speed-
8hp or so. Traditional boiler designs are too heavy, but the
Serpollet monotube works quite well. Check out Wally Mounster and
Terry William's designs.

You are exactly right, Chas. Thanks for mentioning my steam
outboard. I ran it for a number of years beginning in 1989, and
accumulated over 1500 hours on it. It now sits on my patio in need
of a little TLC

Terry Williams

Somewhere around here, I've the plans for a Steam Powered Model
Aeroplane from ~1908.
Not sure it would scale up, though.

The Maxim steam airplane had two 180 hp steam engines and a hundred
foot wingspan..... in 1893.
http://www.flyingmachines.org/maxim.html

John

https://www.livescience.com/32436-wh...on-to-fly.html

Lindbergh wasn't even close to the first to fly cross the Atlantic,
either.