Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Socket for old shower valve bonnet needed

Leon Fisk wrote:

I've got the same or very similar bathtub faucet. Mine wasn't mounted
so deep and you can fit a spanner wrench on the bonnets. Couldn't get
the seats out though. Didn't want to break something trying any harder
to turn them. Those two flats on the bonnet for a wrench are pretty
common or at least it used to be. For instance Streamway as shown he

https://www.danco.com/product/7j-2hc...amway-faucets/

is pretty close. You can download the whole Danco catalog here (huge!
180MB):

https://s16962.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...thAddendum.pdf

it has good pictures for a lot of old stems in it with manufacturer
names. Streamway has a few good examples on actual page 38 of pdf. I
couldn't find any special sockets to fit that shape though. Also a
nice schematic on page 5 detailing all the proper part names...

On my bathtub I just replaced the washer, packer, escutcheon nipple and
escutcheon. Used a 6-flute countersink to touch up the seats. Maybe a
conical grind stone too. Probably by hand or really slow in VSR drill.
Been over 10 years now, don't remember the details for sure...

Just sent an email to Danco with a link to the photos, maybe they'll reply.
In the meantime I'll download the manual to see what I can learn.

Thank you!

bob prohaska