Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Socket for old shower valve bonnet needed

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 20:40:21 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

I'd like to service a shower valve in a 1957 house with original plumbing.

The bonnet nut uses a round boss 7/8" in diameter with two flats milled
in it about 3/4" apart. It'd be a cinch if the valve stuck out of the wall,
any open-end would fit. Unfortunately it's recessed about an inch behind the
tile, so a socket is reuquired.

All the wrenches I can find fit hex nuts, does anybody know the correct name
for the required tool? From time to time "nuts" like this have crossed my
path, but I've never encountered one used in a position that requires a
socket to grab it.

At this point I don't even know what to look for. Correct terminology would
help a great deal.

Thanks for reading, and any guidance.

That's the problem with posting a question about unseen hardware here.
Like calling the body shop and asking "How much to fix my fender?" LOL
Sounds like what I call Double D, but I've never seen one on plumbing,
only on electronics and front wheel spindle washers.

The worst part about plumbing is that the guy who installs this crap
never has to disassemble it 10-50 years later. If only they'd put
anti-sieze on it in the first place...

Will calipers fit down in there to get good measurements to mill one
up? Find the Old Guy at the ACE near you and ask him, or an ancient
plumber.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross