Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Socket for old shower valve bonnet needed

"bob prohaska" wrote in message
news
I'd like to service a shower valve in a 1957 house with original
plumbing.

The bonnet nut uses a round boss 7/8" in diameter with two flats
milled
in it about 3/4" apart. It'd be a cinch if the valve stuck out of
the wall,
any open-end would fit. Unfortunately it's recessed about an inch
behind the
tile, so a socket is reuquired.

All the wrenches I can find fit hex nuts, does anybody know the
correct name
for the required tool? From time to time "nuts" like this have
crossed my
path, but I've never encountered one used in a position that
requires a
socket to grab it.

At this point I don't even know what to look for. Correct
terminology would
help a great deal.

Thanks for reading, and any guidance.

bob prohaska

Dos it back up to a closet where you could cut an access hole and fit
a cover?