Bob Minchin

Default Help - washing machine won't drain!

Andy Evans wrote:
My washing machine won't drain - where do I look first? There's a filter at the
bottom. If it isn't that, is it internal, or just the exit pipe is clogged? Can
I pour that fould drain cleaning fluid in to it or should I - groan - pull the
damn thing out (it's heavy) and look round the back? What's the basic
fault-finding process?
Thank you for helping me avoid BO! Andy

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

The first approach depends on whether you like playing with water or
electricity!
Taking the filter cover off will dump all the water on the floor.
It is possible that the pump is jammed. Turen off the power and water
Pull out the machine, take off the back and turn the pump by hand (there
is usually a fan to get hold of.
Assuming this is free to turn, disconnect the wiresfrom the pump and
make up a lead with a plug on on end and and connect the other end to
the pump. This should make the pump run. If it does not turn, then get
ready for the big puddle on the floor method.
If it pumps out then - fine.
If the pump runs but it does not pump out then you could have a blocked
drain pipe. With care and being prepared for the flood, remove the
outlet hose and unblock it.
Having got the water out and the washing out too. you can then
investigate why the pump is not being powered by the controller.
Pumps are relatively unversal with the main coice being the relative
position of the inlet, outlet and mounting holes. Your local repair shop
will possibly sell you a genereic model much cheaper than the
manufacturer's spare part.

Good luck

Bob

--
To Reply directly to my mailbox, change myisp to ntlworld