Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Odd wiring in tube ampmschematics

On Thursday, 6 December 2018 17:59:08 UTC, wrote:
I would post this in the basics group but it seems like there are more
responders here. Anyway, I have been looking at DIY single ended tube
amp schematics recently. These are modern schematics using grounded
power cords. And several have in common that the power switch is in
the neutral line and the fuse in the hot. Wouldn't it be safer to have
both the switch and fuse in the hot line?
Thanks,
Eric

You're right, that is obsolete practice from the days of unpolarised ungrounded power cords. I don't think it ever had any advantage from a safety perspective, it was just fractionally easier to terminate the mains cord onto a switch & a fuse.

NT