Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Cord for reading glasses

Roger Hayter wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The other complication in my case is that the last time
I got an eye check done, they announced that I would
need cataract surgery soon in one eye and it doesn't
make a lot of sense to spend a lot for a short time of
use. They were very keen to monster me into paying
for surgery now even tho I have no symptoms, likely
they do get a commission on that here. The GP is
convinced that its all a giant scam that's been going
on for decades now and that's the reason I don't
plan to do it until I have some visible downsides.

One of the first symptoms of cataract is trouble with night
vision, have you checked whether you get trouble with that,
blurring, lights affecting the rest of the visual field etc?

Don’t have any problem in that area and I do mostly
do the long distance trips at night for various reasons.

The only effect I do get is with the large signs that
have some waffle on them like report all traffic
incidents to a phone number on the sign, at night
come into focus for a much shorter time than they
do in the day time. I assume that’s just because
the iris is a lot more dilated at night due to the light
level and so the focus depth is much less at night.

I have noticed another odd effect where I find
it feels better with the sun visor down even when
facing away from the sun in the car. Not clear if
that’s a recent thing or I have only noticed it recently.
But its not a pronounced enough effect that I always
drive everywhere with the sun visor down.