Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Back in service was : Compressors - kinda on topic !

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 06:30:23 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 12/4/2018 2:10 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 11:51:13 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Well , I visited the neighbor , his compressor motor is also a 6 hp
Doerr motor so I borrowed his 189-230something start cap to test . My
motor spun up just fine with the belt off but wouldn't quite go with a
load . So I went to town and bought 2 , one at 243-292 and one at
340-408 . It will start under load with the smaller one ,

start under load? You dont have an unloader on your compressor???

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

* Yes of course there's an unloader on it - in fact the tank was empty
this morning . But it was also 26° outside this morning , and there is a
load just from friction and cold oil . This compressor has always
started a little slow in cold weather , sometimes tripping the internal
overload . I usually leave it off unless I need it during the really
cold spells .

If its popping the overloads..you dont have them of the proper value.
If its a "contactor" type..increase the trip value (typically a tiny
blue plastic screw). If its a circuit breaker..increase the amps by 10
and retry.

When you said "loaded" I assumed you meant under air pressure. A
compressor/motor is "unloaded" as long as there is no air on the
compressor head(s). Sounds like you have a couple small niggling
issues that need to be addressed along with your major one. You might
also want to change the type/grade of compressor oil to a lighter one.
Mobil One synthetic seems to work well enough as a compressor oil, you
may want to go to a 5 or 10 weight oil. You can get away with using a
"detergent" type motor oil, given how seldom you use your compressor.
Though to be fair..a good synthetic 30 weight is pretty slippery in
and of itself. Given summer temps may get higher...pondering on it..Id
say use Mobil One 30 weight and change the overloads to a higher
value.

Shrug..but what do I know...?

Gunner

__