Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob LaFrance Bob LaFrance is offline

Default Need perfect radius

On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 7:42:13 AM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 17:58:58 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 07:10:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Greetings.

I am making a lamp for my living room. I will use a 45 pound plate for the base and some 1/2" rebar for the lamp itself. Base will be on one wall and light bulb will be about 7' away. I need to bend an 11' piece of rebar into a perfect arc. It would be 180 degrees of a circle. I am thinking to make a fixture out of plywood. Fixture would be similar to what an electrician would use to bend conduit. I don't intend on heating rebar. Just bend on fixture. Other way would be to create a fixture using a complete sheet of plywood. I think that is overkill.

Any thoughts?

Unless you use Carl's suggested method, you'll need one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXWzIgfTuuQ

Just remember..there is a **** ton of rebar out there that will snap
in half if you look at it funny. A lot of rebar is Asian..and they
make it using every bit of scrap that they can find. If it happens to
have been poured from a melted own pile of cast iron...you are
screwed.

The only reason I mentioned this..a buddy was pouring a slab around
his pool and we were forming and rebarring it..and it kept snapping in
half every time we tried to bend it (with a rigid conduit bender)

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Thank you. I will keep that in mind when I decide what I am going to hang from the rebar in my driveway - something very light and small, I expect these things will dance a little with a breeze so I wouldn't want to hang a sail at the end. I will put motion detectors on each lamp so should be cool driving up the driveway. Thanks