Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default best tool for this job?

On 09/11/2018 01:50, John Rumm wrote:
Rather than worry about sanding right up to the edge, I would be
inclined to caulk the final interface between ceiling and beam, so that
you have something flexible at the join.

The problem is that that implies you can stop the filler a fixed
distance from the edge. In fact I am using massive amounts of caulk - on
7th tube so far - to do what can be done that way, but this part of the
L shaped house features the 90 degree bend and the green oak was exposed
to rain longer because the roof was tricky to make in that part
because of the bend so the final shrinkage was far greater. Even the
longitudinal shrinkage of the main verticals is enough to cause cracking.

Across the 12" width of the central 12" square oak beams the shrinkage
is about an INCH

16 years on, its finally reached equilibrium and its time to sort it all
out.

I have tried about 6 different techniques so far, and this is the first
one that actually works, but am simply physically incapable of doing the
sanding by hand. At lest more than a half beam in a day, and there's 48
half beams in the ine room alone..

I have got it down a lot by being better at filling, but there is an
irreducible residue of sanding needed.

Are there multitools that don't need velcro pads?

I suspect that plaster dust and velcro are anathema

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels