Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Variac question

On Saturday, 3 November 2018 04:43:21 UTC, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Purchased used Variac. Good action, very smooth from 0 to 140V AC.
Question: Input and output are both 2 prong, no ground. Should I modify it to three prong with ground?

it's safer to

BTW, I do also own a functioning isolation transformer.
Should the IXformer be placed between the mains and the Variac? Please advise as to best procedure. Thanks. Main use of Variac will be to power up ancient tube equipment.
Thank you!

that works, but don't assume you won't then get a shock from a live wire. Safer & easier now to use an RCD/GFCI.

NT