Daniel Schudel

Default Kenmore dryer stops too soon early

I have a seven year old Kenmore electric dryer (110.66702690) that
stops drying mid-cycle. It only does this when it is set on
Auto Dry I heat settings (Auto Dry I is where it uses a thermostat
on the exhaust to determine when the clothes are dry). It just takes pushing
the "Start switch" to start the dryer back up again (if only for a few
minutes). It goes full cycle on the Timed Dry cycle.

I scanned in the wiring diagram that was in the dryers console:
http://www.ddktech.com/schematic.jpg

Now, normally, when the thermostat (in red) senses dry air (and hence
dry clothes), the heater should shutdown, but the drive motor should
still spin. The thermostat doesn't control the motor, so I don't
suspect the thermostat. However, last spring, a bird nested in the
dryer's exhaust pipe outside the house. About 2 weeks went by before
my wife told me about the clothes not drying before I was able to clear
out the nest.

The centrifugal switch (in blue) in the motor should be independent
of which cycle is selected.

The thermal fuse (in yellow) is described as being "not resettable",
which I think would describe a fuse similar to car fuses or old house
fuses. So if something were wrong with it, then the motor should not
spin at all.

I've seen other posts recommend the timer itself as being the problem.
I don't really believe that can be my problem. The dryer fails on both the
"Perm. Press" and "Knit Delicate" phases of the "Auto Dry I" setting.
It never stops on the "Timed Dry" or "Air Dry". If it was the timer, I
don't think pushing the "Start switch" would start it up again. However,
I can't eliminate it as the problem due it controlling so much in the dryer.
And I would rather only replace it if I knew it *is* the problem as Kenmore's
replacement part is $75.

I'm at a loss in determining what the problem really is. I would appreciate
any help anyone could give.

Daniel
--
Daniel S. Schudel