Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What is this discoloration in toilet?

On 10/25/2018 10:33 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 25 Oct 2018 05:14:02a, Prairie Girl told us...

replying to zcarenow, Prairie Girl wrote:
Try full strength bleach poured into the water and left for
several hours (or overnight). Weekly cleaning followed by a
splash of bleach in the water, and you won€„¢t see this again!

We had two brand new toilets tht quickly began a discoloration at the
water line in the bowl. We tried leaviang bleach in overnight but it
didn't work for us initially. To finally get rid of it we used a
commercial acid-based toilet cleaner that completely eradicated it.
Now we drop in a cholorine tablet into the tank once a month and the
stain has never occured again.

Flush the toilet, add 1/2 cup bleach, then lay a layer of TP all around
on the bowl so the lower edge is in the water, over the stain. Flush it
in the morning.