David McCulloch

Default 1957 Crane Sink

I'm confused- exactly what is broken, again? I can't see any damage in the
picture. Is the cast-in overflow tube underneath broken, or something?

That's true. The damage is under the sink. When the plumber was removing
the old drain and installing a new one (Crane's drain assemblies are
proprietary), he broke the fitting.

I just added a 2nd picture to the web page. It shows the damage.
http://www.execpc.com/~dbm/sink

You could always just mud the crack and the overflow inlet over
with expoxy and Just Be Careful, to tide you over till you get a
proper solution.

I like your idea of attempting a repair. If it works, that might be the
easiest, cheapest and highest quality alternative. I couldn't find the
pieces that broke off (I hope the plumber didn't dispose of them; I told him
to save all parts), but if I do, I will consider epoxying them back. I've
used that method very successfully for a garbage disposal problem. It might
just work with the sink. Do you know if there is any difference between
Crane's "all china" material and normal porcelain?

...I don't think changing out the vanity top would be that big a deal.

I appreciate the support. You've given me some great suggestions. Thanks
very much!

I love that late '50s modern look- makes me feel like a kid again. I'd
hesitate before nuking bathroom and putting in ultramodern- it won't
look right with rest of the house.

Actually, I like the bathroom's appearance, too. I just wish its components
weren't so rare! For example, my toilet is a Case 1000-1100. It's a great
toilet. One website even says this:

"CASE one-piece toilets, the 'Cadillac' of it's day! No mamby-pamby 1.6gpf
for this baby. A Toilet in the tradition of Al Bundy's 'Ferguson' without
the noise! A toilet known for it's style and quiet efficiency. As we enter
the new century, this classic is a rare and valuable find."
http://casetoilets.bestmfgco.com/

Unfortunately, the toilet is listed under "hard to find parts". When I
searched Google's Usenet messages for the toilet, I was not encouraged to
read things like:

"OhmyGawd! This has to be one of USENETs GREATEST MOMENTS! I own FOUR Case
Toilets Model 1000-1100 in my home and not only that...I have invested HOURS
in renovating them..."

Every 5-years or so when it needs to be fixed, I have to pay about $500 to
replace all of its brass fittings!

Anyway, thanks very much for everything you've said. If you have any more
suggestions about how to fix that ceramic drain, I'd be all ears!

Dave