ameijers

Default 1957 Crane Sink

"David McCulloch" |@|.| wrote in message
RJ,
I would love to be able to put in a regular sink, but to do that, I would
have to:

1. Replace the vanity top.
2. Fix or replace the vanity that was cut on the front to hold the

extended
Crane sink.
3. Worry about the custom sized vanity (it's a relatively small space

that
extends out and beyond the corner).
4. Worry about removing the vanity without breaking the tile wall.
5. Worry if the mirror will fall down (some of its weight appears to be
resting on the vanity).

That's why the plumber would want to charge $1,100 if nothing else went
wrong.

Take another look at the photo and you'll see what I mean.
http://www.execpc.com/~dbm/sink

FYI, I was having this work done to delay a $16,000 bathroom remodeling

job
by a year or two.

Dave

I'm confused- exactly what is broken, again? I can't see any damage in the
picture. Is the cast-in overflow tube underneath broken, or something? You
could always just mud the crack and the overflow inlet over with expoxy and
Just Be Careful, to tide you over till you get a proper solution.

I agree with the others- an architectual salvage yard is your only hope for
an exact replacement. But I don't think changing out the vanity top would be
that big a deal. Unless some idiot glued the mirror to the wall, pulling a
few clips should take it loose. Unhook sink, and lift it out, and unscrew
the screws through top of vanity into countertop. It probably was not glued
down in 1957. In picture, tile runs behind countertop, so that is probably
not an issue. A little utility knife work to break any caulk lines, and some
careful prying with a flat prybar, and it should pop right out of there.
Then just carry the top to the local Formica place, and tell them to make
you one just like it, but without the big notch. If you carry the new
drop-in sink with you, they can even make that hole. On the front of the
vanity, just make a faux drawer front to match the others, and mount it over
the notch, and paint to match. A PITA, to be sure, but not that big a deal.

I love that late '50s modern look- makes me feel like a kid again. I'd
hesitate before nuking bathroom and putting in ultramodern- it won't look
right with rest of the house. And if cast-iron tub is as clean and shiny as
the sink, it'd be a sin to junk it.

aem sends.....