Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default replacement cpacitors

On 10/12/2018 11:06 AM, wrote:
On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 6:17:31 AM UTC-7, Phil Hobbs wrote:
Dunno. I discovered this on Paul Carlson's YouTube channel--he
made an outside-foil detector gizmo and tried it out.

It would have been a lot cheaper and more convincing to have
sacrificed a capacitor and open it up. If it were important, I would
pay this price before I put my faith in a claim of a non-standard
marking on the part, based on the old adage that extraordinary claims
require extraordinary proof.

Suit yerself, or watch the video. You probably don't believe that
tantalums are marked on the positive side either.

Carlson wanted a test gizmo for many caps used in his antique radio and
test equipment restorations. Some of them are fun, though a bit
slow-paced for experts, of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--