Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Harman Kardon 930 lost channel. Hoe to trouble shoot ?

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 10:09:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 6:58:59 PM UTC-5, John-Del wrote:

Sad to say, you're English is better than many native speakers...

Yup. the mistakes are mistakes, not laziness.

You missed the sarkasm...

I've changed many hundreds of outputs over the years, and have never seen one "open".

I have, but they are usually intermittent.

Never saw one, but I did qualify my statement by saying that anything is possible. I've lived long enough to know that odd things happen. The only thing close is that I found a horiz output in an RCA CTC120 (or thereabouts) that was open. That was the first and only high power device I ever saw open. I still don't thing Steff has an open output.

I can't speak for your particular HK, but most amplifiers (not all) use a common speaker protection relay so a shorted transistor on one side will prevent the speaker relay from engaging, rendering both sides mute. Your HK being an older vintage piece may be configured differently.

Actually none at all, there is no protection, no relay, delay or even output current limiting.

Yikes. I remember a Hitachi receiver in the shop back in the early 80s that would destroy speakers whenever it wanted to. Play nice, short loud hum, speaker smoke. Turned out to be one of those weird Hitachi small signal transistors with the slanted top. Once every few days it would direct couple DC.