Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rob[_40_] Rob[_40_] is offline

Default Can I remove the choke?

Clifford Heath wrote:
On 04/10/18 17:48, wrote:
I have an older laptop PC. It has a inline transformer. In other words,
the transformer is between the wall plug and the PC. The little plug
came off where it plugs into the PC. I have some of those plugs, but
there is not enough wire between a cord choke, that is right at the end
of the cord by the PC. It's molded on the wire so I cant move it.

What would happen if I just remove it and put my plug on without that
choke? What are those chokes for anyhow? I can understand them on video
cords and so on, but why are they needed on a power cord?

If I can install my plug without the choke, I will, and that will only
be for a short time. I bought a new cord on ebay, but I use that
computer all the time and dont want to wait till I get the ebay one.
After that, the repaired one will only be a backup cord.

The choke tries to kill EMI coming out of the computer.
Cut it off, and buy a snap-on one to go over the finished cable.

Or cut it off, then demolish the plastic molding that fixes it to
the cable (revealing the ferrite core), put that on the cable before
you attach the plug, and fix it in the way you like.
Suggestion: use two small cable ties around the cable on each side
of the core to fix it in place, then put suitable heat shrink tubing
around the whole thing for better appearance.