Posted to sci.electronics.repair
OGER[_5_] OGER[_5_] is offline

Default Activate PIR xmtr

Mine is a tilt up door that the wind will wiggle so a magnetic switch
probably will not remain aligned.

anyway, for $12, I get a PIR transmitter and receiver with a specific
channel assignment. No wiring between them is required. battery life
is over a year for the xmtr since I use an external battery pack.

I currently use such a setup to monitor motion in my home and the xmtr
gets activate many times during the day proving battery life.

Terry Schwartz wrote:
On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 12:22:40 PM UTC-5, OGER wrote:
That receiver has a tiny LED, I need more brightness to illuminate the
far side of the room. The driveway monitor has three leds and is bright.

wrote:
On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 6:07:58 PM UTC-7, OGER wrote:
I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,
I got a garage door monitor from Sears. It has a device (powered by a CR2032 battery) that attaches to the door, and it transmits a signal when the door is open (mercury switch?). A receiver in the house has red and green LEDs, and it shows red when the door is up and green when the door is down.

I think it cost me about US$40, but a quick Google search shows them from Chamberlain and LiftMaster for under $100. Since Sears and OSH are both going out of business, you might be able to find one at a clearance price.

Of course, this approach deprives you of the joy of building one for yourself.

I wired magnetic alarm switches on my garage doors, stole power for the circuit from the IR "eye" circuit, and ran it to bright blue LED's right inside my service door in the house. They are mounted in a low voltage box. Super bright and easy to see from across the whole lower level of the house.