Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Knurling in a drill press?

On 16/09/2018 13:12, Eusebius wrote:
I don't have a lathe or access to one, but I do have a drill press. Is it possible to do some knurling that way using a scissors knurler held in a drill press vice? Something like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medium-Cl...IAAOSwYL9Z1SCi

Material would be copper rod, 12mm diameter. The idea is to make a safety razor handle.

The problem with doing much more than drilling in a drill press is that
side load on the morse taper will make the chuck walk out of the socket.
Also, I'd be surprised if a drill press will go slow enough for
knurling. How do you plan to get the controlled movement along the thing
you want to knurl?