Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

In article ,
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:
Have you checked the battery volts under a decent load - like say
headlights on?

No, I'm not sure where the DMM is, but i have every confidence the
battery is fine, headlights are bright and dont show any marked
reduction when wipers are started.

That sounds a good enough check.

The started appears to be inhibited
as there is no trace of a clunk when the key is rotated.

Right.

I dissed the battery and the fault is still there.

Anyone had this?

I had trouble with electrics on my Fiat, I got the impression that the
only solution was a main dealer. Is this the case with the Ford, or
can independents sort problems efficiently now?

Did this warning message only appear after the car was parked up?

Yes. Although I had the engine management light come on six months
back. The engine ran rough when first started. This happened twice. I
thought it might be plugs as my first Focus had a similar problem and
the plugs were disintegrating. No Engine or Transmission messages
though.

As usual when the fault cleared, I forgot about it.

Not sure about your car - but many of these check engine etc lights don't
stop an attempted start.

As has been said, many cars have a chip in the key which communicates with
one in the lock - to disable the immobiliser. Totally separate from the
remote locking - and doesn't even need the fob battery. Have you got a
second key you could try?

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.