Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Power tool armature repair - Followup

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 12:28:41 PM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 9/7/2018 6:20 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]
The windings at the back of the commutator are wrapped in string &
coated.Â* I'm thinking that I can cut back the string & get at the winding.

With a small bit in a Dremel I excavated behind the segment, down to its
connecting wire. There was no continuity from that wire to other
segments! Then I noticed what had been staring me in the face all along
- the connecting wire exposed and broken:
https://imgur.com/a/jhIcgqf

Its connection to the segment also came loose, so I soldered in a jumper:
https://imgur.com/a/yiBcCit

It surprised me that the original connecting wire was steel. I don't
know why steel would be used, but it made soldering difficult.

Flux is your friend. I don't solder *anything* anymore without touching the connection with a bit of liquid flux. Today's solder is garbage, and a bit more flux makes it flow so much better.